Saturday 9 June 2012

KALE CHIPS

Oh yeah!.... Kale Chips!

These little green wonders are Fantastic.  They actually taste like real chips without the potatoes, calories and Fat!!!

I have made these a few times in the past months.  When my husband Chris tried them for the first time he thought they weren't bad and nibbled on a few, and I finished off the rest of the tray.
Today when I make them, I end up only having a few nibbles because Chris devours the entire tray for himself.
He is the biggest sceptic I know.  So, if he's willing to eat these yummy Kale Chips like there's no tomorrow than I'm sure you will enjoy these too.

Yummy Kale, ready to eat in my garden
It all starts with some Kale leaves growing in my garden.
Here's the recipe, you won't be disappointed.  And they are much more cost efficient with less fat than any kale chips you can purchase at a store.


INGREDIENTS
1 large bunch of Kale or 2 small bunches
1 Tblsp. olive oil
1 - 2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cayenne powder
1 - 2 Tblsp. grated Parmesan cheese







INSTRUCTIONS
Throw all of the kale in the sink with cold water.
Swish them around to get off any dirt and bugs left on them from the ground. Or if buying from the store wash off any dirt left behind from shipping and handling.

Rip off all of the leafy parts and leave the tough stems behind to compost.


Layer the leaves onto a baking sheet.
There should be one good layer on the baking sheet nice and thick with leaves.  But do not overlap them too much.

Sprinkle on very little olive oil.  If too much oil is sprinkled on, the chips become very soggy.  So extremely little amount of olive oil is best.
Sprinkle on the garlic powder, as much as you like.
Shake on the Parmesan or Romano cheese of your liking.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes.

After 20 minutes of baking, they've shrunk but are not quite crispy enough yet.
After 30 minutes, they're ready.  Crispy and ready to eat.
The chips should be brown/green in colour and crispy.
If they're not leave them in a few minutes longer or you may have too much oil on them.
Maybe try a spritz bottle with the oil, that may work better.
Close up so you can see the spices on the leaves and the crisp look of these kale chips
When these little kale crisps are done baking, enjoy their yummy goodness.  They are delicious!
I like to sit in front of the t.v. and enjoy the entire tray to myself.  Which I may have to do before my husband gets to them. Hee hee, ha ha.

Eat Well,
;)

No comments: