Saturday 23 June 2012

Gluten Free Strawberry Jam

Yeah!! It's STRAWBERRY Season.

I have gone strawberry picking twice already this season and loving all of the sweet, ripe, juicy red berries.    I searched the Internet for some healthy recipes so I can use all of these delicious strawberries.  I came across the easiest strawberry jam ever using only 3 ingredients.  This recipe used honey, chia seeds and of course fresh strawberries.
I happen to have chia seeds in the cupboard but also had psyllium husk in there as well.  Both chia seeds and psyllium have thickening properties because of how they drink in any liquid and can double or triple their size easily.  I brought out both and began to experiment.
The psyllium husk ended up thickening the strawberry jam not only faster but this batch came out way thicker than the chia seed jam, which turned out runny no matter how many seeds I stirred in.  My psyllium strawberry jam has lots of fibre too.  Keep the good food a comin'.


EASY GLUTEN FREE STRAWBERRY JAM

INGREDIENTS

2 cups fresh strawberries, washed and  hulled
2 Tablespoons honey ( I used about 1/4 cup or so      because my strawberries weren't as sweet as I'd like. And I like a bit of a sweeter jam)
3 Tablespoons psyllium husk



INSTRUCTIONS
wash and hull all of the strawberries
Place about 3 - 4 cups whole strawberries in a food processor. 

 Process until desired jam consistency.  I like mine pretty smooth with only a few little chunks.  You can make your jam as smooth or chunky as you like.


Measure the processed strawberries into a bowl and add the honey and psyllium husk.  

Stir well to make sure all ingredients are incorporated well.  Let stand for about 20 - 30 minutes.

Meanwhile wash and dry all of the jars and lids.

Once jam is set, spoon into clean jars and close with clean lids.  Label.

Jam can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 weeks (if it lasts that long) or frozen for up to 6 months.

Yummy, no cook, gluten free strawberry jam.  Soooo good!  Spread on bread, spoon some over ice cream or stir into some yogurt.  Enjoy.

Fresh is Best.
Eat Well,
:)

1 comment:

Elle said...

So excited to try this recipe. Just curious how long this lasts?